10 Things You Didn’t Know About the Town of Rocky Point from Cemetery Club by JG Faherty
- The town’s original name was Rocky Pointe. Before that, the Native Americans called it the Haunted Woods.
- It was established in 1779 and known to the local Native Americans as the place where the “Bloody Man” ruled.
- During the Revolutionary War, Washington’s troops frequently reported seeing ‘haunts’ in the forests.
- In the 1800s, there was a series of unsolved murders and rumours of werewolves roaming the woods.
- Rumours of practicing witches began in the 1800s and continue up to the present day, although without proof.
- In 1899, there was a tragic ammunitions depot explosion on Beerman’s Island, located in the Hudson River at the north end of the town limits. According to Native American legend, the island was home to goblins.
- In 1906, there was a huge fire and landslide at the town’s brickyard, followed by a string of unsolved murders.
- In the 1960s, more than 100 people disappeared on Halloween night while attending a carnival.
- A few years ago, the local Town Code Officer was arrested for murdering more than a dozen people.
- Rocky Point has the most unsolved murders and missing person cases of any city in New York State.
About JG Faherty
JG Faherty has had a varied background that includes working as a laboratory manager, accident scene photographer, zoo keeper, research scientist, and resume writer. Growing up in the haunted Hudson Valley region of New York, some of his favorite playgrounds were abandoned houses and Revolutionary War cemeteries. His hobbies include urban exploring, photography, exotic animal rehabilitation, and playing the guitar. Contrary to popular belief, he is not addicted to Facebook or tacos.